Fryday Chicken & Serengeti Waffles with Rum Butter Maple Syrup
Life hasn't been the same since the pandemic hit in 2020. Saturday morning brunches at our favorite restaurant quickly turned into quarantine brunch at home. We've always enjoyed making our favorite foods at home but for some of us the almost year long quarantine made the saying "We Got Food At Home" a lifestyle. We handcut the chicken strips, used a technique making the crispiest chicken you will ever have, and seasoned with a blend of Fryday Seasoning, ginger powder, smoked paprika, and salt. The waffles were crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside and flavored with Serengeti throughout. If you want a boozy brunch make the rum butter syrup to top the waffles and the chicken or you can use the toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
Fryday Chicken Strips
3 chicken breasts, butterflied then sliced into strips (don't use tenders)
2 egg whites, whisked
1 tbsp PanAfrica! Fryday Seasoning
1 tsp Ginger Powder
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Smoked Paprika
1/2 tbsp of Kosher Salt
drizzle of Olive Oil for chicken
1 cup of canola oil or preferred oil for frying
**Note** We shallow fried the "Fryday" chicken strips in a cast iron skillet but they can also be deep fried.
For Dry Batter:
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of cornstarch
1tsp of PanAfrica Fryday Seasoning
1 tsp kosher salt
For Wet Batter:
2 cups of flour
4 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup of sugar
2 large eggs, separated (room temperature)
1 stick or 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cups whole milk or plant based milk (room temperature)
2 tbsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
1/2 tsp PanAfrica! Serengeti Spice Blend
Rum Butter Syrup
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup of maple syrup
2 tbsp of rum (or to taste)
1tsp PanAfrica! Serengeti Spice Blend
Instructions for Chicken:
1. Butterfly chicken breasts and slice into strips. Use the back of your knife to lightly pound the chicken strips to "break up the texture" a bit.
2. Season chicken with seasonings listed above with the suggested measurements or to your liking.
3. Heat oil for frying. ***see note***
3. Make your wet batter by separating egg whites from yolks (save yolks for waffles) and whisk egg whites in a bowl until frothy about 1 minute.
4. Add sparkling water to whisked egg whites and whisk again to combine. (mixture should look white and foamy)
5. Add egg white mixture to the bowl with the chicken and mix well.
6. To another bowl, make your dry batter by adding flour, cornstarch and seasoning listed to a bowl and light whisk to combine.
7. Take your chicken and add to the dry batter flipping the chicken and pressing the dry batter into the chicken to ensure it is completely coated. After repeating tis 5-6 times, shake off excess batter and add to hot oil.
8. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side (depending on thickness) or until crispy and golden brown.
9. Rest chicken on a wire rack to drain oil and keep in over on warm setting until waffles are ready. These strips can later be reheated in the oven and will maintain crispiness.
Instructions for Waffles:
1. Turn on Waffle maker to preferred setting (we use 5)
2. In a large bowl, sift the flour and baking powder. Add sugar, salt, and mix.
3. In a 2nd bowl, separate eggs from whites. Use a hand mixer or balloon whisk to beat egg whites into stiff peaks that should stand straight up.
4. In 3rd bowl, add milk, egg yolks, melted butter, vanilla. Whisk to combine.
5. Add the butter/milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix until just combined
6. Gently fold the egg whites into the mixture (do not stir) until full incorporated
7. Spray your waffle maker with oil and test with a drop of water to ensure it is hot. *when water sizzles and evaporates its hot enough*
8. Pour 1/3 cup into your waffle maker and cook according to waffle maker instructions
9. Remove from waffle maker and add to wire rack. You can put these in the oven on the warm setting to crisp a bit more but don't leave in the oven longer than 5 minutes.
Instructions for Butter Rum Syrup:
1. Add maple syrup, butter, rum, and PanAfrica! Serengeti to a pot on medium heat.
2. When butter is melted, whisk to combine.
3. Bring to a rapid bowl and whisk occasionally about 3-4 minutes until reduced and then lower heat.
4. When syrup is thickened, remove from heat.
5. Serve warm on top of chicken and waffles and Enjoy!